July 08, 2007

Remembering Justin D'Arcy Isom

I met Justin when we were both graduate students at the Ohio State University. He received his B.A. in philosophy at the University of Texas. He traveled much of the world alone and his ordinary descriptions of the world around him were often worth more than a thousand words. This was sort of remarkable since Justin had lost his sight at the age of one to a retinal nerve cancer. What I didn't realize at the time was that Justin's overall condition would degenerate. He died on April 23, 2007.

Justin and Neil Tennant devised a braille-like proof system so that Justin could more fully participate in discussions about (intuitionistic) proofs. Neil shares his memory of Justine in the department newsletter, Logos.

1 comment:

Mardi said...

Hi Joe

I have had a very strange day today. This morning the first song I heard was one introduced to me by Justin. I then remembered it was Justin's birthday today. Just as I had attempted before,I went to work to google his name to see if I could find him and maybe send him an email. I am so sad to find out Justin has passed away. He was such an interesting and lovely man. Please pass my sincere condolences to his wife, Megan. I live in Australia and met Justin while I worked for an airline. We became friends and I visited him in Austin. He really looked after me. He was very kind.